- RSS Channel Showcase 6959491
- RSS Channel Showcase 9904664
- RSS Channel Showcase 3152250
- RSS Channel Showcase 3512473
Articles on this Page
- 08/05/08--19:00: _Why Chile is a Good...
- 11/17/13--21:11: _Voting and Election...
- 11/27/13--10:02: _Thanksgiving Offer ...
- 02/13/14--10:44: _Record Number of Am...
- 02/13/14--10:53: _A Sober Discussion ...
- 04/23/14--19:23: _Places to Retire in...
- 05/28/14--14:40: _Escape America Now ...
- 05/30/14--10:22: _Monthly Members-Onl...
- 11/08/15--03:02: _Immigrants that Are...
- 12/25/15--12:42: _Bring with You to C...
- 06/14/16--09:11: _Those Who Can, Cann...
- 08/06/16--12:36: _Looking to Leave Am...
- 11/30/16--17:31: _Trump Administratio...
- 05/27/17--12:10: _A Second Citizenshi...
- 06/24/17--12:07: _A Note on the 2017 ...
- 08/13/17--17:29: _Memorandum to Newco...
- 01/27/18--08:22: _Historical Immigrat...
- 01/27/18--08:34: _Chilean Ethnicity a...
- 08/05/08--19:00: Why Chile is a Good Choice
- 11/17/13--21:11: Voting and Elections in Chile
- 11/27/13--10:02: Thanksgiving Offer – 25% off
- 02/13/14--10:44: Record Number of Americans Renounce Citizenship
- 02/13/14--10:53: A Sober Discussion About Immigrating to Chile
- 04/23/14--19:23: Places to Retire in Chile for Every Budget
- 05/28/14--14:40: Escape America Now Membership & Webinars
- 05/30/14--10:22: Monthly Members-Only Webinar (Conference Call) Initiated
- 11/08/15--03:02: Immigrants that Are not Welcome in Chile
- 12/25/15--12:42: Bring with You to Chile These Little Things
- 06/14/16--09:11: Those Who Can, Cannot and Will Not Come to Chile
- 08/06/16--12:36: Looking to Leave America? You Should Be More Scared than You Are!
- 05/27/17--12:10: A Second Citizenship Beyond Chilean
- 06/24/17--12:07: A Note on the 2017 Chilean Primary Elections
- 08/13/17--17:29: Memorandum to Newcomers
- 01/27/18--08:34: Chilean Ethnicity and Ancestry: A Somewhat Surprising Mixture
Are you ready to leave America for a freer, saner country? Allow me to give you some food for thought about why you might pick Chile. Take a look in the “About” section in the menu above to find out how I have helped others accomplish their goal of relocating overseas. You won’t hurt my […]
November 17, 2013 was Election Day 2013 in Chile. People voted for President, Senators, Representatives (diputados) and consejeros regionales (COREs), which are elected to force the regional governors (intendentes) to allocate federal money within each province. Note that Chile does not have regionalism or federalism but instead has much stronger centralism than places like the United States, […]
It’s no big surprise that when people expatriate from the country of their birth they bring along traditions and cultural nuances. When it comes to Chile, the result is quite a mix. With the various influences from Europe, North America, Oceania and Asia (not to leave out South America), you can find just about everything […]
Record number of Americans giving up citizenship. Socialism doesn’t work. Closing thoughts about expatriation.
Too many expats think that they’ll get the red carpet treatment just for arriving in Chile. Showing up with nothing and no ability with Spanish is a recipe for disaster. This is made even worse if you’re not willing to just hunker down and do whatever it takes. Pioneers rarely have it easy. And an […]
I have been dealing with newcomers and immigrants from different walks of life for many years. Some are relatively rich, others relatively poor. One’s economic situation is independent of his political views and thus freedom-loving people from all social classes are making their way to Chile. Some plan to work. Others plan to start a […]
Some of you may have noticed some new options on the website, such as memberships, books, etc. In an effort to make things easier and provide more options for folks interested in Chile, we’ve implemented some tools and now offer more options. One of the services we’ve launched is a membership program with two levels. […]
Chile is a fantastic country to live in. However, there are a lot of problems in Chile that deserve our immediate attention. Chile is our “Alamo” in the sense that there are so few freer places left on earth, such that we need to fight to defend it against the recent and ongoing incursions from […]
Immigrants from 51% of the countries of the world are not readily welcome in Chile. It is very difficult for most people in the world even to obtain a tourist visa. The restriction applies mainly, although not exclusively, to Third World, Muslim, violence-ridden and communist countries. Some notable non-Muslim standouts included in the lists are […]
Over the last 20 years that I have been associated with Chile and bringing things down here from the United States and Europe, several “little” items pop up as necessities that simply are not available in the country. Therefore, I suggest that whether you are bringing a container, pallet or many suitcases that you slips […]
I have been a Chile consultant for many years. One thing that has always puzzled me are the ironies seen in the kinds and classes of people that want to migrate to Chile, as well as the turmoil or frustration that so many of them face. Can and Do First off, there are those that […]
I was reflecting recently on some differences between Chile and the United States. This is an election year in the Land of the Free, and the candidates are so unpopular that the Libertarian Party is even getting considerable support. I should be overjoyed but, alas, even as a libertarian, I cannot get behind the libertarian […]
As many current and aspiring expatriates of the United States are aware, the number of Americans renouncing citizenship has been on the rise over the past decade or so. Once the blue passport was sought by people worldwide, and flashed with pride by its bearers. The nations of the world recognized its holders as those […]
There are certain motifs that fascinate expatriates in general. The most common ones I hear are gold and its storage, tax reduction, escaping warfarism or welfarism, relationships with non-American women, offshore banking, lower-cost living (lifestyle upgrade) and second passports. For many of them, this last motif requires a great, if not the greatest, amount of […]
Chile does not usually hold presidential primary elections. For that reason, we typically arrive at election day in November with seven or eight (or more) candidates on the ballot and thus no one ends up getting at least 50.1% of the vote. Therefore, the top two vote-getters do a run-off election in December, called la segunda […]
From: Dr. Cobin, Instigator To: All Newcomers to Chile Re: Fundamentals, Expectations and Rules of Conduct Please take careful note of the following: 1. Chile is not the United States (i.e., “We are not in Kansas anymore.”), nor is it Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Singapore or a Western European country–thank God. It is also not New […]
Like the United States, Brazil and Argentina, and many other countries in the New World, Chile is a country deeply indebted to immigration. In the last few decades, the great majority of immigrants have come from Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Columbia, and, to a lesser extent, Ecuador, Brazil and Mexico. However, in the last five years […]
A lot of things are surprising about Chile, especially its natural beauty. Relatively few people seem to be aware of just how stunning the coastal and mountain/lake landscapes can be. The same is true about Chile’s ethnicity, ancestry and culture, which is decidedly European and certainly not Mexican or Central American (e.g., the tacos and […]